Natl Book Festival 2017 -- Mike Lester and Ann Telnaes (w/Michael Cavna, Gene Yang, then Roz Chast):
- Bruce Guthrie Photos Home Page: [Click here] to go to Bruce Guthrie Photos home page.
- Description of Pictures: Mike Lester
Mike Lester is an award-winning editorial cartoonist and illustrator whose work is syndicated by The Washington Post Writers Group. His children’s book “A Is for Salad” (Puffin) was a New York Times best-seller in 2000. In 2012, he created and launched the comic strip “Mike du Jour.” He has received the National Cartoonists Society’s Reuben award for best book illustration four times, in 2000, 2006, 2008, and 2010, and the Reuben for best advertising illustration in 2004. He also received the Society of Professional Journalists’ Sigma Delta Chi Award for editorial cartoons in 2007 and 2010.
Ann Telnaes is an award-winning editorial cartoonist for The Washington Post who works in various mediums—animation, visual essays, live sketches and traditional print. She won the Pulitzer Prize in 2001 for her print cartoons and the National Cartoonists Society’s Reuben for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year for 2016. In 2004, she donated 81 of her original drawings to the Library of Congress, which then showed her work in a solo exhibition. Also in 2004, the Library of Congress and Pomegranate Press published her first book, a collection of her editorial cartoons titled “Humor’s Edge: Cartoons by Ann Telnaes” (Pomegranate). She is the current president of the Association of American Editorial Cartoonists.
The speakers were in conversation with Michael Cavna, from the Washington Post.
The speakers joined a conversation with Gene Yang, and at the end of the conversation, they were joined by Roz Chast.
- Recognize anyone? If you recognize specific folks (or other stuff) and I haven't labeled them, please identify them for the world. Click the little pencil icon underneath the file name (just above the picture). Spammers need not apply.
- Copyrights: All pictures were taken by amateur photographer Bruce Guthrie (me!) who retains copyright on them. Free for non-commercial use with attribution. See the [Creative Commons] definition of what this means. "Photos (c) Bruce Guthrie" is fine for attribution. (Commercial use folks including AI scrapers can of course contact me.) Feel free to use in publications and pages with attribution but you don't have permission to sell the photos themselves. A free copy of any printed publication using any photographs is requested. Descriptive text, if any, is from a mixture of sources, quite frequently from signs at the location or from official web sites; copyrights, if any, are retained by their original owners.
- Accessing as Spider: The system has identified your IP as being a spider.
IP Address: 188.8.131.52 -- Domain: Amazon Technologies
I love well-behaved spiders! They are, in fact, how most people find my site. Unfortunately, my network has a limited bandwidth and pictures take up bandwidth. Spiders ask for lots and lots of pages and chew up lots and lots of bandwidth which slows things down considerably for regular folk. To counter this, you'll see all the text on the page but the images are being suppressed. Also, some system options like merges are being blocked for you.
Note: Permission is NOT granted for spiders, robots, etc to use the site for AI-generation purposes. I'm sure you're thrilled by your ability to make revenue from my work but there's nothing in that for my human users or for me.
If you are in fact human, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I can check if your designation was made in error. Given your number of hits, that's unlikely but what the hell.
- Help? The Medium (Email) links are for screen viewing and emailing. You'll want bigger sizes for printing. [Click here for additional help]
- Specific picture descriptions: Photos above with "i" icons next to the bracketed sequence numbers (e.g. " ") are described as follows:
- MLAT_170902_032.JPG: Mike Lester
- MLAT_170902_055.JPG: Amy Lago in the middle
- MLAT_170902_068.JPG: Ann Telnaes
- MLAT_170902_100.JPG: Ann Telnaes, Michael Cavna, Gene Luen Yang, and Mike Lester
- MLAT_170902_689.JPG: Roz Chast is introduced
- MLAT_170902_692.JPG: Ann Telnaes bows to Roz Chast
- MLAT_170902_706.JPG: Ann Telnaes, Michael Cavna, Roz Chast, and Mike Lester
- MLAT_170902_787.JPG: Mike Lester, Ann Telnaes
- MLAT_170902_791.JPG: Mike Lester, Ann Telnaes, Warren Bernard
- MLAT_170902_795.JPG: Amy Lago, Mike Lester, Ann Telnaes, and Regan (Mike's wife)
- MLAT_170902_800.JPG: Amy Lago, Mike Lester, Ann Telnaes, Regan (Mike's wife), and Warren Bernard
- AAA "Gem": AAA considers this location to be a "must see" point of interest. To see pictures of other areas that AAA considers to be Gems, click here.
- Bigger photos? To save server space, the full-sized versions of these images have either not been loaded to the server or have been removed from the server. (Only some pages are loaded with full-sized images and those usually get removed after three months.)
I still have them though. If you want me to email them to you, please send an email to email@example.com
and I can email them to you, or, depending on the number of images, just repost the page again will the full-sized images.
- Featured Folk: Some of the people here can also be seen on other pages on this site.
- Bernard, Warren appears on:
- Cavna, Michael appears on:
- Chast, Roz appears on:
- Lago, Amy appears on:
- Lester, Mike appears on:
- 2017_DC_NBF_Yang_170902 Natl Book Festival 2017 -- Gene Luen Yang (w/Michael Cavna, then Mike Lester and Ann Telnaes)
- 2017_DC_NBF_Chast_170902 Natl Book Festival 2017 -- Roz Chast (w/Michael Cavna, Ann Telnaes, Mike Lester, then Lincoln Pierce)
- Telnaes, Ann appears on:
- Yang, Gene Luen appears on:
- Connection Not Secure messages? Those warnings you get from your browser about this site not having secure connections worry some people. This means this site does not have SSL installed (the link is http:, not https:). That's bad if you're entering credit card numbers, passwords, or other personal information. But this site doesn't collect any personal information so SSL is not necessary. Life's good!
- Photo Contact: [Email Bruce Guthrie].