Gaithersburg Book Festival (2014) -- Kate Samworth, Lola M. Schaefer:
- GBF Home Page: [Click here] to go to the Gaithersburg Book Festival home page.
- Bruce Guthrie Photos Home Page: [Click here] to go to Bruce Guthrie Photos home page.
- Description of Pictures: How Animals Adapt to Their Environment
Kate Samworth grew up in the suburbs of Washington, D.C. Her book, "Aviary Wonders Inc. Spring Catalog and Instruction Manual" (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt), is a faux-catalog with an ecological subtext that purports to replace extinct bird species with build-a-bird automatons. Kate was introduced to art by her mother, who is also an artist, and to ecology by her father, who worked for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. Travel has had an important influence on her life and art. Her study of Portuguese led her to Brazil, where she discovered a passion for birdwatching. She lived in New Orleans for many years, and it was the temporary absence of birds following Hurricane Katrina that inspired her first book, "Aviary Wonders Inc." She now lives in Charlottesville, Va., and is an ardent spokesperson for environmental protection and preservation.
Lola M. Schaefer is the author of many books for children of all ages and the winner of a Charlotte Zolotow Honor and the Children’s Choice Book Award. Several of her titles explore her wonder and fascination with the natural world, including "Lifetime" (Chronicle Books) and "Just One Bite." She lives with her husband, Ted, in the mountains of northern Georgia where she enjoys reading, writing, gardening and hiking.
- Recognize anyone? If you recognize specific folks (or other stuff) and I haven't labeled them, please identify them for the world. Click the little pencil icon underneath the file name (just above the picture). Spammers need not apply.
- Copyrights: All pictures were taken by amateur photographer Bruce Guthrie (me!) who retains copyright on them. Free for non-commercial use with attribution. See the [Creative Commons] definition of what this means. "Photos (c) Bruce Guthrie" is fine for attribution. (Commercial use folks including AI scrapers can of course contact me.) Feel free to use in publications and pages with attribution but you don't have permission to sell the photos themselves. A free copy of any printed publication using any photographs is requested. Descriptive text, if any, is from a mixture of sources, quite frequently from signs at the location or from official web sites; copyrights, if any, are retained by their original owners.
- Accessing as Spider: The system has identified your IP as being a spider.
IP Address: 220.127.116.11 -- Domain: Amazon Technologies
I love well-behaved spiders! They are, in fact, how most people find my site. Unfortunately, my network has a limited bandwidth and pictures take up bandwidth. Spiders ask for lots and lots of pages and chew up lots and lots of bandwidth which slows things down considerably for regular folk. To counter this, you'll see all the text on the page but the images are being suppressed. Also, some system options like merges are being blocked for you.
Note: Permission is NOT granted for spiders, robots, etc to use the site for AI-generation purposes. I'm sure you're thrilled by your ability to make revenue from my work but there's nothing in that for my human users or for me.
If you are in fact human, please email me at email@example.com and I can check if your designation was made in error. Given your number of hits, that's unlikely but what the hell.
- Help? The Medium (Email) links are for screen viewing and emailing. You'll want bigger sizes for printing. [Click here for additional help]
- Specific picture descriptions: Photos above with "i" icons next to the bracketed sequence numbers (e.g. " ") are described as follows:
- ANIMAL_140517_18.JPG: Kate Samworth
- ANIMAL_140517_20.JPG: Lola M. Schaefer
- Bigger photos? To save server space, the full-sized versions of these images have either not been loaded to the server or have been removed from the server. (Only some pages are loaded with full-sized images and those usually get removed after three months.)
I still have them though. If you want me to email them to you, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
and I can email them to you, or, depending on the number of images, just repost the page again will the full-sized images.
- Featured Folk: Some of the people here can also be seen on other pages on this site.
- Samworth, Kate appears on:
- Connection Not Secure messages? Those warnings you get from your browser about this site not having secure connections worry some people. This means this site does not have SSL installed (the link is http:, not https:). That's bad if you're entering credit card numbers, passwords, or other personal information. But this site doesn't collect any personal information so SSL is not necessary. Life's good!
- Photo Contact: [Email Bruce Guthrie].