DC -- Chinatown -- Sixth & I Historic Synagogue (600 I St NW):
- Bruce Guthrie Photos Home Page: [Click here] to go to Bruce Guthrie Photos home page.
- Recognize anyone? If you recognize specific folks (or other stuff) and I haven't labeled them, please identify them for the world. Click the little pencil icon underneath the file name (just above the picture). Spammers need not apply.
- Copyrights: All pictures were taken by amateur photographer Bruce Guthrie (me!) who retains copyright on them. Free for non-commercial use with attribution. See the [Creative Commons] definition of what this means. "Photos (c) Bruce Guthrie" is fine for attribution. (Commercial use folks including AI scrapers can of course contact me.) Feel free to use in publications and pages with attribution but you don't have permission to sell the photos themselves. A free copy of any printed publication using any photographs is requested. Descriptive text, if any, is from a mixture of sources, quite frequently from signs at the location or from official web sites; copyrights, if any, are retained by their original owners.
- Spiders: The system has identified your IP as being a spider. I love well-behaved spiders! They are, in fact, how most people find my site. Unfortunately, my network has a limited bandwidth and pictures take up bandwidth. Spiders ask for lots and lots of pages and chew up lots and lots of bandwidth which slows things down considerably for regular folk. To counter this, you'll see all the text on the page but the images are being suppressed. Also, a number of options like merges are being blocked for you.
Note: Permission is NOT granted for spiders, robots, etc to use the site for AI-generation purposes. I'm excited for your ability to make revenue from my work but there's nothing in that for my human users or for me.
If you are in fact human, please email me at email@example.com and I can check if your designation was made in error. Given your number of hits, that's unlikely but what the hell.
- Help? The Medium (Email) links are for screen viewing and emailing. You'll want bigger sizes for printing. [Click here for additional help]
- Wikipedia Description: Sixth & I Historic Synagogue
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Sixth & I Historic Synagogue is a Jewish synagogue located at the corner of Sixth Street and I Street, NW in the Chinatown neighborhood of Washington, D.C. It is one of the oldest synagogues in the city. In addition to hosting religious services for different Jewish denominations, the synagogue hosts many lectures, concerts, and art exhibitions for the general public.
The building was constructed by the Adas Israel congregation and dedicated on January 8, 1908, near what was then the main commercial district in town and the center of the Jewish community in Washington. In 1951 the congregation moved to a new building on Connecticut Avenue and sold its building on the corner of 6th and I Streets, NW to the Turner Memorial A.M.E. Church. The church in turn moved to Hyattsville, Maryland fifty years later.
President George W. Bush visiting Sixth & I Historic Synagogue in 2005
Three local Jewish developers decided to acquire the historic building to preserve it as a synagogue. The main impetus for the restoration came from real estate developer Shelton Zuckerman, who contacted Washington Wizards owner Abe Pollin, who in turn contacted Douglas Jemal. Working from wedding photos from 1949, the building was returned to its original design and decor. It was rededicated and opened to the public on April 22, 2004.
Sixth & I has been recognized by The Slingshot Fund in 2007-2008 as well as 2008-2009. Slingshot recognizes "the 50 most inspiring and innovative organizations, projects, and programs in the North American Jewish community today." Furthermore, in 2009, Sixth & I was named one of America's 25 most vibrant congregations in Newsweek magazine.
Guest speakers have included Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Stephen Breyer, Salman Rushdie, Jhumpa Lahiri, Nancy Pelosi, David Gregory, Chris and Kathleen Matthews, George W. Bush, Annie Leibovitz, Lewis Black, Toni Morrison, Tom Brokaw, A.B. Yehoshua, Rob Riggle, Amy Sedaris, and John Kerry.
Bands and singers have included Idina Menzel, Bryan Adams, Adele, Grizzly Bear, Idan Raichel Project, Yael Naim, Beiruit, Antony and the Johnsons, M. Ward, Marc Broussard and Matisyahu.
Sixth & I Synagogue carries six sets of prayer books representing all Jewish denominations. The synagogue has four restored Torah scrolls that survived The Holocaust, including one of just thirteen to survive from Wegrów, Poland.
Sixth & I partners with a wide variety of local and national organizations, including Live Nation, Politics & Prose Bookstore, National Geographic, Heeb magazine, B'nai B'rith, Slate magazine, The New Republic magazine, Taglit-Birthright Israel, The Jewish Federation of Greater Washington, JDub Records, and many others.
- Bigger photos? To save server space, the full-sized versions of these images have either not been loaded to the server or have been removed from the server. (Only some pages are loaded with full-sized images and those usually get removed after three months.)
I still have them though. If you want me to email them to you, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
and I can email them to you, or, depending on the number of images, just repost the page again will the full-sized images.
- Connection Not Secure messages? Those warnings you get from your browser about this site not having secure connections worry some people. This means this site does not have SSL installed (the link is http:, not https:). That's bad if you're entering credit card numbers, passwords, or other personal information. But this site doesn't collect any personal information so SSL is not necessary. Life's good!
- Photo Contact: [Email Bruce Guthrie].