Top 10 Things This Barcode Knows:
Each piece of mail has a unique intelligent barcode that can be read by automated machinery and workers using Intelligent Mail Devices (IMDs).
(1) Shows the point of origin.
(2) Shows the destination.
(3) Shows the mailer's organization or business.
(4) Matches the item's address to a confirmed address database.
(5) Automatically forwards the mail to a new address if the receiver has moved.
(6) Alerts the receiver that the item is in the mail.
(7) Alerts the sender that the item has been delivered.
(8) Alerts the receiver or sender when the item will be delivered.
(9) Finds the piece of mail while it is still in the system.
(10) Identifies the machines that process that piece of mail.