The Union Arch Bridge:
Civil War engineer General Montgomery Meigs built the bridge in 1870 to carry water from Great Falls over Cabin John Creek to the City of Washington. Its dramatic span was the largest stone arch bridge in the world and allowed limited two-way vehicular traffic. In the 1970s it was widened to include a bike path. Now it is known to commuters as the infamous "one-lane bridge."
The Cabin John Trolley ended here on a turn-around loop. In 1890 an elaborate cast iron footbridge crossed to a spectacular riverside resort where John Philip Sousa and his uniformed musicians introduced the "Washington Post March."