The Cabin John Bridge Hotel:
This elegant Victorian resort opened in 1875 at the west end of the famous bridge. Washingtonians rode horse carriages along the Potomac to the hotel to enjoy fine dining with imported beers and to hear John Philip Sousa's popular band. By 1900, with trolley service to the hotel, the owners built an extensive amusement park overlooking the river. But Prohibition in the 1920s and competition from nearby Glen Echo Park proved insurmountable. It closed and stood derelict until a fire burned it to the ground in 1931.