Existing comment:
Home for Confederate Women

In 1932, this monumental building opened as a privately run residence for destitute female relatives of Confederate veterans. After its board voted to close the facility in 1989, the Commonwealth of Virginia became the building's owner and transferred its care to the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. Today the renovated and renamed Stan and Dorothy Pauley Center houses museum offices and meeting rooms.

Funded through private donations and state support, the Home for Confederate Women was designed by architect Merrill Lee, who was inspired by the neoclassical motifs of the White House. Its soaring ionic portico fronts Sheppard Street.
Proposed user comment: