Washington Navy Yard, 1861
The Washington Navy Yard, lying on the Anacostia River a mile and a half southeast of the Capital, was a bustling center of activity during the war. Some 1,800 skilled craftsmen, mechanics, and machinists manned the foundry, carpenter, and machine shops, repairing and refitting ships with every necessity from new anchors and boilers to newly designed cannons. The naval yard was a favorite getaway for President Lincoln, who used the facility periodically to board vessels bound for the seat of war in Virginia's tidewater, east of Richmond.
This scene by Alfred Waud appeared in the New-York Illustrated News on April 13, 1861, the day Fort Sumter surrendered to Confederates in Charleston harbor.
Alfred R. Waud, reproduced from the original 1861 drawing