The Council of War
The idea for this group sculpture of General Ulysses S. Grant (left) and Secretary of War Edwin Stanton standing behind the seated President Lincoln came from information provided by Stanton himself. Stanton, described an actual meeting or council of war in Washington in August 1864 at which Grant laid out his plans for an all-out, unrelenting campaign against the Confederacy in Virginia and throughout the South.
John Rogers patented this sculpture called The Council of War in 1968, and sold plaster replicas such as this one for twenty-five dollars.
John Rogers, c 1873 cast after 1868 original