Same as 2016
* A massive attention capture opportunity.
* Abundance of information and activity provides cover for bad actors and operations to blend in.
* Social (media) incentives reward extreme content.
* State actors with digital capacities have an interest in influencing the process and outcome.
* A population struggling to adapt to a new and chaotic information environment.
* Widespread attention and concern about influence operations and mis/disinformation.
* Facebook's use of third-party checkers. Could mean more misleading and less 100% false info.
* More difficult for financially-driven foreign actors to make money and have influence.
* Emergence of for-profit deception industry.
* Evolution and growth of the alternate-reality ecosystem thanks to QAnon etc.
* Messaging apps and Instagram more prevalent.