The Kennedy Center Expansion Project
Building the Future
For the first time in its history, the Kennedy Center has embarked on a major expansion of the building's original footprint, scheduled for completion in 2018. We envision the expanded campus as the ultimate creative space -- an open and responsive place where artists and audiences will participate together in the creative process, exploring and connecting through performances, informal gatherings, and creative learning moments. The expansion's highly flexible design will enable the rehearsal spaces to be turned "inside out," providing patrons a unique window into the artistic experience.
Renowned American architect Steven Holl has created an innovative design that features three new distinct pavilions -- an entry pavilion to welcome guests, an event pavilion overlooking beautiful gardens, and a river pavilion adjacent to Rock Creek Parkway and the Potomac River. Seamlessly integrated into the existing campus, the expansion features:
* A flexible, 2,500-square foot performance space to allow for more informal performance experiences.
* Three new open rehearsal/multi-purpose spaces encouraging dynamic participation, experimentation, and immersive access to unfinished works of art still in process.
* Dedicated education spaces, like media-ready classrooms, lecture halls, outdoor classrooms and a learning lab to serve more of the community with cultural and hands on art-making experiences.
* 7,500 square feet of pre-function and event space including a convertible cafe/bistro with stunning views of the Potomac and the freedom to host more intimate and relaxed performances.
* Beautiful outdoor gardens, a Ginkgo grove, reflecting pools, interactive art and sculpture installations, celebration spaces and a large outdoor video wall, with terrace seating for more than 1,600.
* A strong connection to the riverfront and surrounding neighborhoods through a scenic walkway connecting the Center with the river and nearby memorials creating an environment where visitors can experience works of art.
* Multiple ADA-compliant connections to the main Kennedy Center building, front Plaza, and parking garage which will provide unparalleled access to the ground making them more accessible to everyone.
Scheduled to open in 2018, the new spaces are designed to be flexible and create a new experience for members of the extended Kennedy Center community to interact and fully engage with the Center as a nexus of arts, learning, and culture.
The Kennedy Center's Expansion Project is being built exclusively with private contributions and would not be possible without the visionary leadership of Chairman David M. Rubenstein, who has generously contributed $50 million in support of this historic undertaking.
For more information, please call (202) 416-8025, email BuildTheFuture@kennedy-center.org, or visit kennedy-center.org/expansion