|Existing comment :|
This plaque commemorates the 50th anniversary of Furman University's relocation from this site to the current campus north of Greenville on Poinsett Highway. From 1851 to 1958, Furman University was located atop this bluff above the Reedy River Falls, and the Greenville Woman's College was located a mile away on College Street at the current site of Heritage Green. The all-male university and the woman's college was separate institutions until they were coordinated during the Great Depression, and for twenty-five years students and faculty commuted between the two campuses. In 1958, the men moved to the new campus, and, in 1961, the women joined them to create a fully coeducational university.