CALLBX_210617_47
Existing comment:
Georgetown's First Market

The citizens of Georgetown were already raising money for good causes two centuries ago. In 1796 the Mayor of Georgetown, Daniel Reintzel, was authorized to demolish a frame market house that stood on this site and erect a new brick market building. Funds for the new market were to be raised by voluntary contribution from the citizens of Georgetown.

During the decades of profitable operation of the adjacent Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, which made Georgetown a thriving commercial port, the Old Georgetown Market was enlarged. But by the end of the Civil War the market was worn out and was torn down and rebuilt again. One hundred years later, the U.S. Congress declared the market a historic landmark, and required that it be preserved and used only as a farmers market. So what began in revolutionary times as a butcher's market is still functioning as a market today — perhaps the finest remaining symbol of Georgetown's long commercial history.

Georgetown continues its tradition of volunteering funds for worthy projects. Just like for the Old Georgetown Market, funds for the restoration of this, and all other police and fire call boxes in Georgetown were raised by voluntary contributions from its proud citizens and business leaders.
Proposed user comment: