The grand, 1,000 acre Rosedale Estate which was later subdivided to form Cleveland Park, was purchased by General Uriah Forrest, an aid-de-camp of General George Washington, who built a farmhouse in 1793. Between 1920-1959, the estate was owned by the Coonley/Faulkner families. The property then became a dormitory for a private school and offices for an international exchange organization. To prevent further development, a group of Cleveland Park residents purchased the estate in 2002; sold lots on the north side; renovated the farmhouse as a private home; and established the Rosedale Conservancy to preserve the southern portion as a green space for the Cleveland Park Community.
Artist: John Woo