The Lee House
Home of Rear Admiral Samuel Phillips Lee, US Navy and Elizabeth Blair Lee, to whom it was given by her father, Francis Preston Blair. Admiral Lee commanded the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron during the Civil War. Home also of their son Blair Lee and Anne Clymer Brooke Lee. He served as United States Senator from Maryland and was the first Senator to be elected by direct vote of the people. The Blair and Lee houses were combined in 1943 to become the President's guest house.
Erected by the Society of the Lees of Virginia 1981
First home of the Reserve Officers Association
From 1924 to 1938, rooms of the Lee House were the first headquarters of the Reserve Officers Association of the United States. Founded in 1922 by General of the Armies, John J. Pershing to assure an adequate national security, ROA had as an early member Major Harry S. Truman, USAD. President Truman lived in these quarters during much of his administration and in 1950 signed the law granting ROA its Congressional charter.
Dedicated during the Truman Centennial year, May 1984.