LAFAY_080812_061
Existing comment:
Blair House.

The Blair House erected 1824.
1836 home of Francis Preston Blair, editor of Globe. Also of Montgomery Blair, attorney for Dred Scott, postmaster general in the cabinet of Abraham Lincoln.
Occupied by George Bancroft, historian.
General Robert E Lee was here offered command of the Union Army in the field at the instance of Abraham Lincoln.

National Historic Marker.
The Blair House
Purchased in 1836 by Francis P. Blair, Sr., friend of Andrew Jackson, publisher of the Washington "Globe" and the "Congressional Globe." Inherited by his son Montgomery Blair, attorney for Dred Scott, postmaster general under Lincoln, and originator of the International Postal Union. Who, with his brother, General Francis P. Blair, Jr., defended Lincoln's plan for a reconstruction of he Union. Here, at Lincoln's instance, Robert E. Lee was offered command of the Union Army in the field.

This plaque marks the home of Francis Preston Blair (1791-1876), founder and editor of The Globe (1830-1945), a newspaper which championed democratic causes and vigorous journalism notably during the administration of President Andrew Jackson in whose "kitchen cabinet" Blair loyally served.
Marked by the Sigma Delta Chi Professional Journalistic Society, 1989.

In honor of Leslie Coffelt, White House policeman, who gave his life in defense of the President of the United States here at Blair House, November 1, 1950.
"For loyalty, bravery and heroism beyond the call of duty."
Presented by National Sojourners in commemoration of his sacrifice.
Dedicated May 21, 1952, by President Harry S. Truman.
Proposed user comment: