BLADWV_170730_278
Existing comment:
Magruder's Landing:
On June 17, 1814, the British raided Magruder's Landing and burned the Moir and Magruder Tobacco Warehouse and hundreds of pounds of tobacco.

Aquasco:
Located between Swanson's Creek and the Patuxent River, Aquasco developed as an agricultural center for the production of tobacco. In 1814 the village had a grist mill, several small stores, a tavern, blacksmith shop, school, post office, and several churches.
On August 20, 1814, Secretary of State James Monroe, accompanied by about 30 dragoons from the District of Columbia, witnessed the British fleet landing at Benedict. To expedite communication between southern Prince George's County and Washington, Secretary Monroe ordered that dragoons be placed every 12 miles along the main road to Aquasco.

Benedict:
Benedict had been the site of two previous British raids during the war. The British continued their advance on August 21st, marching through the town of Aquasco, in southern Prince George's County, and continuing north to Nottingham where they camped for the night.
TO keep the Americans off balance, Admiral Cochrane sent a small squadron of bomb ketches up the Potomac River with orders to shell fortifications on that river's banks while a frigate and two schooners were ordered up the Chesapeake Bay to take positions above Baltimore. The intention was to force the Americans to divide their forces.
This raid up the Potomac River would later result in the bombing of Ft. Washington and the plundering of Alexandria, Virginia.
Accepted user comment:
(none so far)
Proposed user comment: