The Original Chancery:
Originally a private residence for Mr. Clarence Moore, a prominent member of society and horseman, the structure at 1746 Massachusetts Avenue was designed in the Louis XV manner and completed in 1909. The home was described in a local newspaper as the "scene of many fashionable gatherings of diplomatic and social circles." After Mr. Moore's tragic death aboard the Titanic, the residence was sold to the Canadian government for $375,000.
The property served as an ideal venue for Canada's first diplomatic chancery. Mr. Vincent Massey presented his credentials as Minister Plenipotentiary to President Calvin Coolidge on February 18, 1927. In 1946, Canada's diplomatic representation became independent of Great Britain, elevating the mission to embassy status.