The first academy in Newark
was erected near this spot
by the gifts of generous citizens.
Dedicated to learning, it found, in time of war, a new
mission in the cause of liberty, giving useful service
as a barracks and hospital for American troops.
On the night of January 25, 1780, it was burned to
the ground by a raiding party of British, who crossed
from New York on the ice and surprised the town.
This school was the forerunner of the present
Newark Academy which erected its first building
in 1792 at the corner of Broad and Academy Streets
Placed by the Trustees, teachers, graduates and
students of Newark Academy, June 1916
Replaced by the Commissioners of the City of Newark, May 1941