Gaithersburg Book Festival (2022) -- Comics Co-Lab: Kids Graphic Novel Workshop (w/Dave Roman and John Patrick Green):
- GBF Home Page: [Click here] to go to the Gaithersburg Book Festival home page.
- Bruce Guthrie Photos Home Page: [Click here] to go to Bruce Guthrie Photos home page.
- Description of Pictures: Comics Co-Lab: Kids Graphic Novel Workshop
Presented by: Dave Roman and John Patrick Green
Workshop - Children's
Children's Village Workshop Tent
Join author Dave Roman ("Astronaut Academy") and John Patrick Green ("InvestiGators") for an interactive workshop for kids that's all about developing unique cartoon characters and collaborating with fellow artists to create unexpected comic stories full of crazy twists and turns.
Latest Title: Astronaut Academy: Zero Gravity (Astronaut Academy, 1)
Dave Roman is the author/illustrator of the Astronaut Academy series (winner of Maryland’s Black-Eyed Susan Book Award) and writer of the graphic novels, “Teen Boat! Race for Boatlantis” (with John Patrick Green) and “Agnes Quill: An Anthology of Mystery.” He has contributed stories and art to “Goosebumps Graphix: Slappy’s Tales of Horror,” “Nursery Rhyme Comics” and the Flight series. Dave is a graduate of the School of Visual Arts, a former editor at Nickelodeon Magazine, and is currently the editor for First Second’s Science Comics and History Comics ongoing series of non-fiction graphic novels. He lives in New York City and draws a webcomic called “Starbunny, Inc.”
John Patrick Green
Latest Title: InvestiGators: Braver and Boulder (InvestiGators, 5)
John Patrick Green is a human with the human job of making books about animals with human jobs, such as “Hippopotamister,” “Kitten Construction Company” and “InvestiGators.” John is definitely not just a bunch of animals wearing a human suit pretending to have a human job. He is also the artist and co-creator of the graphic novel series Teen Boat!, with writer Dave Roman. John lives in Brooklyn, N.Y., in an apartment that doesn’t allow animals other than the ones living in his head.
- Recognize anyone? If you recognize specific folks (or other stuff) and I haven't labeled them, please identify them for the world. Click the little pencil icon underneath the file name (just above the picture). Spammers need not apply.
- Copyrights: All pictures were taken by amateur photographer Bruce Guthrie (me!) who retains copyright on them. Free for non-commercial use with attribution. See the [Creative Commons] definition of what this means. "Photos (c) Bruce Guthrie" is fine for attribution. (Commercial use folks including AI scrapers can of course contact me.) Feel free to use in publications and pages with attribution but you don't have permission to sell the photos themselves. A free copy of any printed publication using any photographs is requested. Descriptive text, if any, is from a mixture of sources, quite frequently from signs at the location or from official web sites; copyrights, if any, are retained by their original owners.
- Spiders: The system has identified your IP as being a spider. I love well-behaved spiders! They are, in fact, how most people find my site. Unfortunately, my network has a limited bandwidth and pictures take up bandwidth. Spiders ask for lots and lots of pages and chew up lots and lots of bandwidth which slows things down considerably for regular folk. To counter this, you'll see all the text on the page but the images are being suppressed. Also, a number of options like merges are being blocked for you.
Note: Permission is NOT granted for spiders, robots, etc to use the site for AI-generation purposes. I'm excited for your ability to make revenue from my work but there's nothing in that for my human users or for me.
If you are in fact human, please email me at email@example.com and I can check if your designation was made in error. Given your number of hits, that's unlikely but what the hell.
- Help? The Medium (Email) links are for screen viewing and emailing. You'll want bigger sizes for printing. [Click here for additional help]
- Specific picture descriptions: Photos above with "i" icons next to the bracketed sequence numbers (e.g. " ") are described as follows:
- COLAB_220521_05.JPG: John Patrick Green, Dave Roman
- Bigger photos? To save server space, the full-sized versions of these images have either not been loaded to the server or have been removed from the server. (Only some pages are loaded with full-sized images and those usually get removed after three months.)
I still have them though. If you want me to email them to you, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
and I can email them to you, or, depending on the number of images, just repost the page again will the full-sized images.
- Featured Folk: Some of the people here can also be seen on other pages on this site.
- Green, John Patrick appears on:
- Roman, Dave appears on:
- Connection Not Secure messages? Those warnings you get from your browser about this site not having secure connections worry some people. This means this site does not have SSL installed (the link is http:, not https:). That's bad if you're entering credit card numbers, passwords, or other personal information. But this site doesn't collect any personal information so SSL is not necessary. Life's good!
- Photo Contact: [Email Bruce Guthrie].