DC -- Ford's Theatre NHS (Theatre, Lobby):
- Bruce Guthrie Photos Home Page: [Click here] to go to Bruce Guthrie Photos home page.
- Description of Pictures: Signs up for the theatre which announced that same day that they would reopening October 14. They reclosed again shortly afterward.
- Recognize anyone? If you recognize specific folks (or other stuff) and I haven't labeled them, please identify them for the world. Click the little pencil icon underneath the file name (just above the picture). Spammers need not apply.
- Copyrights: All pictures were taken by amateur photographer Bruce Guthrie (me!) who retains copyright on them. Free for non-commercial use with attribution. See the [Creative Commons] definition of what this means. "Photos (c) Bruce Guthrie" is fine for attribution. (Commercial use folks including AI scrapers can of course contact me.) Feel free to use in publications and pages with attribution but you don't have permission to sell the photos themselves. A free copy of any printed publication using any photographs is requested. Descriptive text, if any, is from a mixture of sources, quite frequently from signs at the location or from official web sites; copyrights, if any, are retained by their original owners.
- Spiders: The system has identified your IP as being a spider. I love well-behaved spiders! They are, in fact, how most people find my site. Unfortunately, my network has a limited bandwidth and pictures take up bandwidth. Spiders ask for lots and lots of pages and chew up lots and lots of bandwidth which slows things down considerably for regular folk. To counter this, you'll see all the text on the page but the images are being suppressed. Also, a number of options like merges are being blocked for you.
Note: Permission is NOT granted for spiders, robots, etc to use the site for AI-generation purposes. I'm excited for your ability to make revenue from my work but there's nothing in that for my human users or for me.
If you are in fact human, please email me at email@example.com and I can check if your designation was made in error. Given your number of hits, that's unlikely but what the hell.
- Help? The Medium (Email) links are for screen viewing and emailing. You'll want bigger sizes for printing. [Click here for additional help]
- Specific picture descriptions: Photos above with "i" icons next to the bracketed sequence numbers (e.g. " ") are described as follows:
- FORDS_200603_01.JPG: Boarded up because of BLM protests.
- FORDS_200603_06.JPG: As a public health precaution, Ford's Theatre National Historic Site is temporarily closed as of March 14 for the safety of staff and visitors.
Please visit www.fords.org for updates. Ticket holders should visit the website for information on ticket options.
We apologize for any inconvenience.
- FORDS_200603_07.JPG: SITE CLOSED
As a public health precaution, Ford's Theatre National Historic Site is temporarily closed for the safety of staff and visitors.
- FORDS_200607_02.JPG: Boarded up because of BLM protests.
- FORDS_200607_05.JPG: In Support of #BlackLivesMatter
Neighborhood Support Spaces with Water, Snacks and Restrooms
These places were available for protesters during the peak public protest weekend -- June 6 and 7.
- FORDS_200708_01.JPG: The plywood window-protecting boards have come down.
- FORDS_200720_07.JPG: At Ford's Theatre
Guys and Dolls
March 13 - May 20
This reminded me of one of the time machine sci-fi movies where the guy (usually) is transported ahead in time. The nuclear radiation or the plague or the neutron bomb or whatever killed everyone instantly but left the buildings intact. The time traveler finds themselves in the city that was gussied up for what was to come but, in reality, would never be seen. ("Twilight Zone" theme song plays in the background.) In the movie (or the comic book), it's one of those terribly sad moments which keeps reminding the traveler that everything is over now. Oh, the humanity!
- FORDS_201009_01.JPG: Black Voices Matter
- FORDS_201009_07.JPG: Black
- FORDS_201021_08.JPG: Ford's Theatre Visit Instructions
* Advance Tickets: To reduce lines and crowding, purchases tickets online at www.fords.org/visit/historic-site
* When purchasing a ticket, you will need to provide contact information for one adult in your travel party. This information, along with the time of your visit, will be collected and kept on record by the Ford's Theatre Society and may be provided to the DC Contact Tracing Force upon request to help stop the spread of COVID-19.
* All visits are self-guided.
* Please refrain from sitting in the historic theatre seats. Select seats are set aside for those needing to rest in the theatre.
* Please adhere to visit time limits as instructed by the staff. This is to allow for proper disinfecting in the space before the next group enters the site.
- AAA "Gem": AAA considers this location to be a "must see" point of interest. To see pictures of other areas that AAA considers to be Gems, click here.
- Bigger photos? To save server space, the full-sized versions of these images have either not been loaded to the server or have been removed from the server. (Only some pages are loaded with full-sized images and those usually get removed after three months.)
I still have them though. If you want me to email them to you, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
and I can email them to you, or, depending on the number of images, just repost the page again will the full-sized images.
- Connection Not Secure messages? Those warnings you get from your browser about this site not having secure connections worry some people. This means this site does not have SSL installed (the link is http:, not https:). That's bad if you're entering credit card numbers, passwords, or other personal information. But this site doesn't collect any personal information so SSL is not necessary. Life's good!
- Photo Contact: [Email Bruce Guthrie].