Gaithersburg Book Festival (2019) -- Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah, Arkady Martine (w/Bethanne Patrick):
- GBF Home Page: [Click here] to go to the Gaithersburg Book Festival home page.
- Bruce Guthrie Photos Home Page: [Click here] to go to Bruce Guthrie Photos home page.
- Description of Pictures: Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah, Arkady Martine, Bethanne Patrick -- Short story author Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah and science fiction writer Arkady Martine explore themes of cultural unrest, protest and the fight for humanity, viewed through the lens of different genres.
Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah
Latest Title: Friday Black
Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah is The New York Times best-selling author of “Friday Black.” Originally from Spring Valley, N.Y., he graduated from SUNY Albany and went on to receive his M.F.A. from Syracuse University. His work has appeared or is forthcoming in numerous publications, including The New York Times Book Review, Esquire, Literary Hub, The Paris Review, Guernica and Longreads. He was selected by Colson Whitehead as one of the National Book Foundation’s “5 Under 35” honorees.
Latest Title: A Memory Called Empire
Arkady Martine is a speculative fiction writer and, as Dr. AnnaLinden Weller, a historian of the Byzantine Empire. Under both names, she writes about border politics, rhetoric, propaganda and the edges of the world. Her short fiction has appeared in leading speculative fiction magazines. Arkady grew up in New York City and, after some time in Turkey, Canada and Sweden. She now lives in Baltimore with her wife, the author Vivian Shaw. “A Memory Called Empire” is her debut novel.
- Recognize anyone? If you recognize specific folks (or other stuff) and I haven't labeled them, please identify them for the world. Click the little pencil icon underneath the file name (just above the picture). Spammers need not apply.
- Copyrights: All pictures were taken by amateur photographer Bruce Guthrie (me!) who retains copyright on them. Free for non-commercial use with attribution. See the [Creative Commons] definition of what this means. "Photos (c) Bruce Guthrie" is fine for attribution. (Commercial use folks including AI scrapers can of course contact me.) Feel free to use in publications and pages with attribution but you don't have permission to sell the photos themselves. A free copy of any printed publication using any photographs is requested. Descriptive text, if any, is from a mixture of sources, quite frequently from signs at the location or from official web sites; copyrights, if any, are retained by their original owners.
- Accessing as Spider: The system has identified your IP as being a spider.
IP Address: 184.108.40.206 -- Domain: Amazon Technologies
I love well-behaved spiders! They are, in fact, how most people find my site. Unfortunately, my network has a limited bandwidth and pictures take up bandwidth. Spiders ask for lots and lots of pages and chew up lots and lots of bandwidth which slows things down considerably for regular folk. To counter this, you'll see all the text on the page but the images are being suppressed. Also, some system options like merges are being blocked for you.
Note: Permission is NOT granted for spiders, robots, etc to use the site for AI-generation purposes. I'm sure you're thrilled by your ability to make revenue from my work but there's nothing in that for my human users or for me.
If you are in fact human, please email me at email@example.com and I can check if your designation was made in error. Given your number of hits, that's unlikely but what the hell.
- Help? The Medium (Email) links are for screen viewing and emailing. You'll want bigger sizes for printing. [Click here for additional help]
- Specific picture descriptions: Photos above with "i" icons next to the bracketed sequence numbers (e.g. " ") are described as follows:
- NAAM_190518_06.JPG: Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah, Arkady Martine, Bethanne Patrick
- NAAM_190518_09.JPG: Arkady Martine
- NAAM_190518_15.JPG: Bethanne Patrick
- NAAM_190518_20.JPG: Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah
- NAAM_190518_34.JPG: Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah, Arkady Martine, Bethanne Patrick
- Bigger photos? To save server space, the full-sized versions of these images have either not been loaded to the server or have been removed from the server. (Only some pages are loaded with full-sized images and those usually get removed after three months.)
I still have them though. If you want me to email them to you, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
and I can email them to you, or, depending on the number of images, just repost the page again will the full-sized images.
- Featured Folk: Some of the people here can also be seen on other pages on this site.
- Adjei-Brenyah, Nana Kwame appears on:
- 2019_MD_GBF_AB_190518 Gaithersburg Book Festival (2019) -- Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah (In conversation with Damon Young)
- Patrick, Bethanne appears on:
- Connection Not Secure messages? Those warnings you get from your browser about this site not having secure connections worry some people. This means this site does not have SSL installed (the link is http:, not https:). That's bad if you're entering credit card numbers, passwords, or other personal information. But this site doesn't collect any personal information so SSL is not necessary. Life's good!
- Photo Contact: [Email Bruce Guthrie].