DC -- Edgewood Neighborhood (incl Rhode Island Avenue Shopping Center):
Bruce Guthrie Photos Home Page: [Click here] to go to Bruce Guthrie Photos home page.
Recognize anyone? If you recognize specific people (or other things) in the pictures which I haven't labeled, please identify them for the world. Or fill in any other descriptions you can. Click the little pencil icon underneath the file name (just above the picture). Spammers need not apply.
Slide Show: Want to see the pictures as a slide show?
Copyrights: All pictures were taken by amateur photographer Bruce Guthrie (me!) who retains copyright on them. Free for non-commercial use with attribution. See the [Creative Commons] definition of what this means. "Photos (c) Bruce Guthrie" is fine for attribution. Feel free to use in publications and pages with attribution but you don't have permission to sell the photos themselves. A free copy of any printed publication using any photographs is requested. Descriptive text, if any, is from a mixture of sources, quite frequently from signs at the location or from official web sites; copyrights, if any, are retained by their original owners.
Limiting Text: You can turn off all of this text by clicking this link:
Multi Column: Number of columns of thumbnails to appear per page (normally defaults to 3):
Wikipedia Description: Edgewood (Washington, D.C.)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Edgewood is a neighborhood in Northeast Washington, D.C. Edgewood is bounded by Monroe Street NE to the north, Rhode Island Avenue NE to the south, Glenwood Cemetery to the west, and the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority's Red Line train tracks to the east. The eastern boundary originates with the establishment of the former Metropolitan Branch of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad in 1873, creating the physical barrier which today separates Edgewood from Brookland to the east. Edgewood is in Ward 5.
Businesses and landmarks
* Edgewood Commons, a large complex of mixed-income and senior citizen public housing, opened in 1972. It was built by Bethesda developer Eugene Ford, and it was originally managed by H. R. Crawford. Today, Edgewood Commons (formerly known as Edgewood Terrace) remains a central landmark of the neighborhood.
* The Metropolitan Branch Trail goes through the neighborhood of Edgewood on its way from the Silver Spring Metro Station all the way to the Union Station in the Capitol Hill neighborhood of Washington, D.C.
* Edgewood Wall is part of Open Walls DC, a public art initiative that provides spaces and walls for graffiti artists, street artists, muralists, art students, emerging and established artists who love to paint outdoors and large. The goal of Open Walls DC is to create large ever-changing murals that beautify our city and are unusual creative public spaces.
* Glenwood Cemetery
* Mount Calvary Christian Church
* Rhode Island Avenue Shopping Center
Bigger photos? To save space on the server and because the modern camera images are so large, photos larger than 640x480 have not been loaded on this page. If you need the bigger sizes of selected photos, email me and I can email them back to you or I can re-load this page temporarily with the bigger versions restored.
Same Subject: Click on this link to see coverage of items having the same subject:
2019 photos: Equipment this year: I continued to use my Fuji XS-1 cameras but, depending on the event, I also used a Nikon D7000.
Trips this year:
(May/June) a two-day jaunt to New York City for my 62nd birthday,
(July) two-weeks out west for San Diego Comic-Con and sites in Utah,
(August) a four-day jaunt to Massachusetts to experience rain in another state,
(August) a three-day trip to Asheville, NC to visit Dad and his wife Dixie,
(August) another two-day jaunt to New York City (United Nations, Flushing),
(October) a three-day jaunt to New York City (New York Comic-Con).
That's it so far!
Partially Reviewed: Rough draft. I've gone through these pictures once, removing the worst ones, some duplication, etc. I usually take sequences of 4 or 5 pictures at a time and there are lots of near duplicates. I'll be doing a final review later which will cull the pictures down some. To be honest though, I'm way behind on doing final reviews.