White House Historical Association -- Holiday Book Fair:
- Bruce Guthrie Photos Home Page: [Click here] to go to Bruce Guthrie Photos home page.
- Description of Pictures: Holiday Book Fair
The White House Historical Association is pleased to announce its upcoming Holiday Book Fair, a full day of holiday shopping and festivities with 12 authors available to sign copies of their award-winning books.will be available for purchase during the event, in addition to our full range of White House-inspired gifts.
Since 1962, the White House Historical Association has published books on the history of the White House—covering topics such as architecture, gardens, fine and decorative arts, food, and presidential families. Authors include former White House staffers, historians, political cartoonists, and scholars from diverse fields.
This special 2018 Holiday Book Fair will feature:
* Book signings with award-winning authors
* Special Guest: “President Thomas Jefferson” will share memories and unique insights on his life and history of the White House (as portrayed by Bill Barker of Colonial Williamsburg)
* Former White House Pastry Chef Roland Mesnier will serve his authentic White House Eggnog and discuss creating pastries for significant White House events under five presidents
* Pulitzer-Prize winning political cartoonist Pat Oliphant will sign copies of our recent White House History Quarterly: Political Cartoons and the White House, which features his drawing on the cover.
* Examples of President Obama’s presidential china on display and former White House Curator William Allman, author of Official White House China, will be available to answer questions.
* Artist John Hutton will demonstrate "How to Draw the Presidents”
* Raffle of original John Hutton drawings created during the 2018 Easter Egg Roll and as seen in The White House Easter Egg Roll: A History for All Ages
* Jonathan Pliska, Author of A Garden for the President, will discuss his collection of heirloom seeds, which match those purchased for the earliest White House gardens.
* Author Osborne Mackie will discuss examples of a rarely seen artifacts in the Decatur House collection, which will be on display in connection with our recently released book, The Stephen Decatur House: A History
* Artist Peter Waddell discusses his painting, Thomas Jefferson in His Study with the president himself (as portrayed by Bill Barker of Colonial Williamsburg)
Folks shown here include: Pat Oliphant and Susan Conway, John Hutton, Peter Waddell, Osborne Mackie, Roland Mesnier, Mark Ramsdell, Joe Sutliff, Leslie Buhler, and Al Goodwyn.
- Recognize anyone? If you recognize specific folks (or other stuff) and I haven't labeled them, please identify them for the world. Click the little pencil icon underneath the file name (just above the picture). Spammers need not apply.
- Copyrights: All pictures were taken by amateur photographer Bruce Guthrie (me!) who retains copyright on them. Free for non-commercial use with attribution. See the [Creative Commons] definition of what this means. "Photos (c) Bruce Guthrie" is fine for attribution. (Commercial use folks including AI scrapers can of course contact me.) Feel free to use in publications and pages with attribution but you don't have permission to sell the photos themselves. A free copy of any printed publication using any photographs is requested. Descriptive text, if any, is from a mixture of sources, quite frequently from signs at the location or from official web sites; copyrights, if any, are retained by their original owners.
- Spiders: The system has identified your IP as being a spider. I love well-behaved spiders! They are, in fact, how most people find my site. Unfortunately, my network has a limited bandwidth and pictures take up bandwidth. Spiders ask for lots and lots of pages and chew up lots and lots of bandwidth which slows things down considerably for regular folk. To counter this, you'll see all the text on the page but the images are being suppressed. Also, a number of options like merges are being blocked for you.
Note: Permission is NOT granted for spiders, robots, etc to use the site for AI-generation purposes. I'm excited for your ability to make revenue from my work but there's nothing in that for my human users or for me.
If you are in fact human, please email me at email@example.com and I can check if your designation was made in error. Given your number of hits, that's unlikely but what the hell.
- Help? The Medium (Email) links are for screen viewing and emailing. You'll want bigger sizes for printing. [Click here for additional help]
- Specific picture descriptions: Photos above with "i" icons next to the bracketed sequence numbers (e.g. " ") are described as follows:
- HBF_181210_002.JPG: Susan Conway, Pat Oliphant
- HBF_181210_005.JPG: John Hutton
- HBF_181210_013.JPG: Peter Waddell, A Bird that Whistles, oil on canvas, 48 x 60.
- HBF_181210_026.JPG: Peter Waddell (left)
- HBF_181210_053.JPG: Osborne Mackie, Pat Oliphant
- HBF_181210_071.JPG: Pat Oliphant, Osborne Mackie
- HBF_181210_085.JPG: Chef Mark Ramsell, Chef Roland Mesnier
- HBF_181210_111.JPG: Pat Oliphant, Joe Sutton
- HBF_181210_120.JPG: Susan Conway, Pat Oliphant, and family
- HBF_181210_124.JPG: (Standing) Peter Waddell, John Hutton
(Seated) Susan Conway, Pat Oliphant
- HBF_181210_175.JPG: Mrs. District of Columbia, Chef Roland Mesnier
- HBF_181210_178.JPG: Chef Mark Ramsell, Mrs. District of Columbia, Chef Roland Mesnier
- HBF_181210_197.JPG: Leslie Buhler and Kenneth Hunter-Hall
- HBF_181210_206.JPG: Dagger and Sheath, c 1861-64
This ornamental dagger with a cast and chased gold bear cub was presented to Edward Beale by the State of California during his tenure as surveyor general of the United States for the District of California.
- HBF_181210_211.JPG: Congressional Gold Medal, c 1812
Commodore Decatur was awarded a gold medal by the US Congress for the US frigate United States victory over British frigate Macedonian, on October 25, 1812. This object is of paramount importance in the history of the US Navy. The obverse shows a profile of Stephen Decatur and the reverse a depiction of the naval battle.
- HBF_181210_220.JPG: Coffee Pot, 1774
This George III neoclassical coffee pot is a high-style example of English silver that descended in the Decatur family and was originally acquired by the affluent Stephen and Ann Pine Decatur, Stephen Decatur's parents.
- HBF_181210_226.JPG: Letter from John Quincy Adams to Stephen Decatur, September 21, 1815
Among the commodore's papers in the Decatur House collection is a letter from John Quincy Adams, then minister to the Court of St. James's. Dated London, September 21, 1815, it acknowledges receipt of Decatur's letter dated at sea, July 11.
- HBF_181210_250.JPG: "Thomas Jefferson" and Kenneth Hunter-Hall
- HBF_181210_256.JPG: Pat Oliphant, Al Goodwyn
- HBF_181210_258.JPG: Kenneth Hunter-Hall, Chef Roland Mesnier
- HBF_181210_262.JPG: Pat Oliphant, Susan Conway
- Bigger photos? To save server space, the full-sized versions of these images have either not been loaded to the server or have been removed from the server. (Only some pages are loaded with full-sized images and those usually get removed after three months.)
I still have them though. If you want me to email them to you, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
and I can email them to you, or, depending on the number of images, just repost the page again will the full-sized images.
- Featured Folk: Some of the people here can also be seen on other pages on this site.
- Goodwyn, Al appears on:
- Hutton, John appears on:
- Mesnier, Roland appears on:
- Oliphant, Pat appears on:
- 2009_CA_SDCCP03_090724 San Diego Comic-Con International (2009) -- Panel: Spotlight on Patrick Oliphant
- 2008_DC_NAROCP_080207 Natl Archives -- Panel -- Running for Office: Cartooning and Politics (w/Pat Oliphant, Ann Telnaes, Matt Davies, and Clay Bennett)
- 2008_DC_Drinks_080207 DC -- Drinks after the "Running for Office: Cartooning and Politics" event
- 2007_DC_Oliphant_071018 Politics & Prose -- Pat Oliphant ("Leadership: Political Cartoons - The Bush Years")
- 1998_DC_ThompsonsO_981208 Personal -- Thompsons @ Susan Conway Art Gallery opening (w/Pat Oliphant)
- Sutliff, Joe appears on:
- Waddell, Peter appears on:
- Connection Not Secure messages? Those warnings you get from your browser about this site not having secure connections worry some people. This means this site does not have SSL installed (the link is http:, not https:). That's bad if you're entering credit card numbers, passwords, or other personal information. But this site doesn't collect any personal information so SSL is not necessary. Life's good!
- Photo Contact: [Email Bruce Guthrie].