Gaithersburg Book Festival (2016) -- Roger Rosenblatt ("Thomas Murphy") w/Alice McDermott:
- GBF Home Page: [Click here] to go to the Gaithersburg Book Festival home page.
- Bruce Guthrie Photos Home Page: [Click here] to go to Bruce Guthrie Photos home page.
- Description of Pictures: Roger Rosenblatt:
Roger Rosenblatt’s essays for TIME and PBS have won two George Polk Awards, the Peabody, and the Emmy. He is the author of six off-Broadway plays and seventeen books, including the national bestsellers “Kayak Morning,” “Unless it Moves the Heart,” “Making Toast,” “Rules For Aging,” and “Children Of War,” which won the Robert F. Kennedy Book Prize and was a finalist for the National Book Critics Circle Award. “Lapham Rising,” his first novel, was also a national bestseller. He is a 2015 recipient of the Kenyon Review Literary Achievement Award and a Distinguished Professor of English and Writing at Stony Brook University. His latest book is “Thomas Murphy.”
Alice McDermott’s seventh novel, “Someone,” was a New York Times best-seller, a finalist for the Dublin IMPAC Award, the National Book Critics Circle Award, the Patterson Prize for Fiction and the National Book Award. Three of her novels, “After This,” “At Weddings and Wakes” and “That Night,” were finalists for the Pulitzer Prize. “Charming Billy” won the National Book Award for fiction in 1998. Her stories and essays have appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, The New Yorker and elsewhere. She is the Richard A. Macksey Professor of the Humanities at Johns Hopkins University.
- Recognize anyone? If you recognize specific folks (or other stuff) and I haven't labeled them, please identify them for the world. Click the little pencil icon underneath the file name (just above the picture). Spammers need not apply.
- Copyrights: All pictures were taken by amateur photographer Bruce Guthrie (me!) who retains copyright on them. Free for non-commercial use with attribution. See the [Creative Commons] definition of what this means. "Photos (c) Bruce Guthrie" is fine for attribution. (Commercial use folks including AI scrapers can of course contact me.) Feel free to use in publications and pages with attribution but you don't have permission to sell the photos themselves. A free copy of any printed publication using any photographs is requested. Descriptive text, if any, is from a mixture of sources, quite frequently from signs at the location or from official web sites; copyrights, if any, are retained by their original owners.
- Accessing as Spider: The system has identified your IP as being a spider.
IP Address: 184.108.40.206 -- Domain: Amazon Technologies
I love well-behaved spiders! They are, in fact, how most people find my site. Unfortunately, my network has a limited bandwidth and pictures take up bandwidth. Spiders ask for lots and lots of pages and chew up lots and lots of bandwidth which slows things down considerably for regular folk. To counter this, you'll see all the text on the page but the images are being suppressed. Also, some system options like merges are being blocked for you.
Note: Permission is NOT granted for spiders, robots, etc to use the site for AI-generation purposes. I'm sure you're thrilled by your ability to make revenue from my work but there's nothing in that for my human users or for me.
If you are in fact human, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I can check if your designation was made in error. Given your number of hits, that's unlikely but what the hell.
- Help? The Medium (Email) links are for screen viewing and emailing. You'll want bigger sizes for printing. [Click here for additional help]
- Specific picture descriptions: Photos above with "i" icons next to the bracketed sequence numbers (e.g. " ") are described as follows:
- ROSENB_160521_18.JPG: Alice McDermott
- ROSENB_160521_30.JPG: Alice McDermott, ???, and Roger Rosenblatt
- ROSENB_160521_35.JPG: Roger Rosenblatt and Alice McDermott
- ROSENB_160521_50.JPG: Alice McDermott and Roger Rosenblatt
- Bigger photos? To save server space, the full-sized versions of these images have either not been loaded to the server or have been removed from the server. (Only some pages are loaded with full-sized images and those usually get removed after three months.)
I still have them though. If you want me to email them to you, please send an email to email@example.com
and I can email them to you, or, depending on the number of images, just repost the page again will the full-sized images.
- Featured Folk: Some of the people here can also be seen on other pages on this site.
- McDermott, Alice appears on:
- Connection Not Secure messages? Those warnings you get from your browser about this site not having secure connections worry some people. This means this site does not have SSL installed (the link is http:, not https:). That's bad if you're entering credit card numbers, passwords, or other personal information. But this site doesn't collect any personal information so SSL is not necessary. Life's good!
- Photo Contact: [Email Bruce Guthrie].