CA -- San Francisco -- Golden Gate NRA -- Alcatraz Island:
- Bruce Guthrie Photos Home Page: [Click here] to go to Bruce Guthrie Photos home page.
- Recognize anyone? If you recognize specific folks (or other stuff) and I haven't labeled them, please identify them for the world. Click the little pencil icon underneath the file name (just above the picture). Spammers need not apply.
- Copyrights: All pictures were taken by amateur photographer Bruce Guthrie (me!) who retains copyright on them. Free for non-commercial use with attribution. See the [Creative Commons] definition of what this means. "Photos (c) Bruce Guthrie" is fine for attribution. (Commercial use folks including AI scrapers can of course contact me.) Feel free to use in publications and pages with attribution but you don't have permission to sell the photos themselves. A free copy of any printed publication using any photographs is requested. Descriptive text, if any, is from a mixture of sources, quite frequently from signs at the location or from official web sites; copyrights, if any, are retained by their original owners.
- Spiders: The system has identified your IP as being a spider. I love well-behaved spiders! They are, in fact, how most people find my site. Unfortunately, my network has a limited bandwidth and pictures take up bandwidth. Spiders ask for lots and lots of pages and chew up lots and lots of bandwidth which slows things down considerably for regular folk. To counter this, you'll see all the text on the page but the images are being suppressed. Also, a number of options like merges are being blocked for you.
Note: Permission is NOT granted for spiders, robots, etc to use the site for AI-generation purposes. I'm excited for your ability to make revenue from my work but there's nothing in that for my human users or for me.
If you are in fact human, please email me at email@example.com and I can check if your designation was made in error. Given your number of hits, that's unlikely but what the hell.
- Help? The Medium (Email) links are for screen viewing and emailing. You'll want bigger sizes for printing. [Click here for additional help]
- Specific picture descriptions: Photos above with "i" icons next to the bracketed sequence numbers (e.g. " ") are described as follows:
- ALC_000906_002.JPG: Alcatraz
- ALC_000906_008.JPG: "Warning: Persons procuring or concealing escape of prisoners are subject to prosecution and imprisonment."
- ALC_000906_010.JPG: The real sign says:
United State Penitentiary
Alcatraz Island Area 12 acres
1-1/2 miles to transport dock
Only government boats permitted
Others must keep off 200 yards
No one allowed ashore without a pass
The hand-painted sign says:
Indians Welcome ...
- ALC_000906_012.JPG: Whitey Thompson, who used to be a prisoner here doing a book signing
- ALC_000906_014.JPG: Some buildings burned during the Indian occupation
- ALC_000906_026.JPG: Visitation area. Prisoners can see their visitors eyes as well as books or pictures held across the glass.
- ALC_000906_066.JPG: The special security area kept people isolated as much as possible. There are no bars on doors to allow communication.
- ALC_000906_077.JPG: These cells are made up to show masks that prisoners used when trying to pretend they were asleep while they were making an escape.
- ALC_000906_080.JPG: Visitation Rules & Regulations
You are allowed one visit each month from members of your immediate family or other approved visitors.
Visiting hours are approximately 1:30pm - 3:10pm weekdays.
All personal visits you will confine your talk to personal matters and refrain from discussing other inmates, institutional matters, etc.
Physical contact shall not be allowed.
Food and beverages are not permitted.
Interviewers and inmates shall remain seated during the visit.
Inmates shall not smoke.
Visits with your attorney of record may be arrange through the office of the associate warden.
Violation of rules and regulations may result in termination of visitation room privileges.
- ALC_000906_083.JPG: They say this view of the city beyond the walls must have been very frustrating for the inmates.
- ALC_000906_103.JPG: Alcatraz
- AAA "Gem": AAA considers this location to be a "must see" point of interest. To see pictures of other areas that AAA considers to be Gems, click here.
- Wikipedia Description: Alcatraz Island
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Alcatraz Island (sometimes informally referred to as simply Alcatraz or by its pop-culture name, The Rock) is a smaller island located in the middle of San Francisco Bay in California, United States. It served as a lighthouse, then a military fortification, then a military prison followed by a federal prison until 1963. It became a national recreation area in 1972 and received landmarking designations in 1976 and 1986. Today, the island is a historic site operated by the National Park Service as part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area and is open to tours. Visitors can reach the island by ferry ride from Pier 33, near Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco.
- Bigger photos? To save server space, the full-sized versions of these images have either not been loaded to the server or have been removed from the server. (Only some pages are loaded with full-sized images and those usually get removed after three months.)
I still have them though. If you want me to email them to you, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
and I can email them to you, or, depending on the number of images, just repost the page again will the full-sized images.
- Connection Not Secure messages? Those warnings you get from your browser about this site not having secure connections worry some people. This means this site does not have SSL installed (the link is http:, not https:). That's bad if you're entering credit card numbers, passwords, or other personal information. But this site doesn't collect any personal information so SSL is not necessary. Life's good!
- Photo Contact: [Email Bruce Guthrie].